PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 5:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I had to share this one for those who don't go to GBCentral

http://forums.ghostbusters.net/showthread.php?t=10264

Sebastien Clavet wrote:
Yo!

Can't help to notice that the Newsarama preview only has 2 comments about the preview, and one being very negative.

In defense of IDW I will state that they are a big company that knows how to publish on time. So my criticism is not about the company but about how the title looks from the preview.

Sure I'm criticizing something only 5 pages long but when I saw it I instantly thought : RGB writing style. And the results, so far, does not strike me as being a good creative choice.

I would never have had dead gangster ghosts talk some plot back in my day, that is way too RGB to me. If you want a RGB book then go all the way with it, same if you prefer more serious movie style.

The artisitic choice on the boys looks seems to me they tried to copy Legion but staying far enough away not to be compared to it. The results does nothing for me. Not dissing on the artist, the editor must have had strict rules about it.

As for the writing, well Venkman would never BANG open a door and go all YO JOE on some ghosts. He is FAR from being the hero type. Remember, he ditched first when Stay-Puft exploded. And Ray has never seen that many ghost in the same place ? Wha ?!? Possesed Venkman does nothing for me either.

I still have yet to see how the firehouse and car will look. Hopefully the old miller-meteor will be in all her 1959 glory.

Nothing against IDW but I won't be buying it, not out of spite but lack of interest in RGB style writing. Plus the preview is supposed to WOW potential readers. I am a potential reader, but the preview does nothing for me.

I am eager to play the game though.

Cheers

Clavet

Oh, where to start...

Quote:
In defense of IDW I will state that they are a big company that knows how to publish on time.

Unlike, say...nah, that's too easy. I'll resist.

Quote:
The artisitic choice on the boys looks seems to me they tried to copy Legion but staying far enough away not to be compared to it. The results does nothing for me. Not dissing on the artist, the editor must have had strict rules about it.

Well, let's face it, they're trying the same thing: sorta looking like the movie actors without getting so close they have the pay money. Unless you get explicit likeness rights, or go "Dapper Dan" gonzo, or just use the fricking cartoon likenesses, how different could it be?

Oh, let's just go to the heart of the matter for me...

Quote:
Sure I'm criticizing something only 5 pages long but when I saw it I instantly thought : RGB writing style. And the results, so far, does not strike me as being a good creative choice.

I would never have had dead gangster ghosts talk some plot back in my day, that is way too RGB to me. If you want a RGB book then go all the way with it, same if you prefer more serious movie style.

<<snip>>

As for the writing, well Venkman would never BANG open a door and go all YO JOE on some ghosts. He is FAR from being the hero type. Remember, he ditched first when Stay-Puft exploded. And Ray has never seen that many ghost in the same place ? Wha ?!? Possesed Venkman does nothing for me either.

<<snip>>

Nothing against IDW but I won't be buying it, not out of spite but lack of interest in RGB style writing. Plus the preview is supposed to WOW potential readers. I am a potential reader, but the preview does nothing for me.

The part about "RGB writing style" is what gets up my nose. For two reasons...

1. I seem to remember somebody putting out a comic a few years back with more than a few nods to the most successful cartoon based off a movie of all time. Venkman in a brown and green suit (not his uniform, just street clothes, but brown and green nonetheless). Egon fantasizing about having a swirly hair cut. Oh, yeah, and a great big, red, round Ecto Containment Unit. That comic got some of the exact same complaints from movie purist snobs about "RGB style". Who published that comic again? I forgot. I haven't heard much about him since he took a pile of money for a hardcover and never delivered on it.

2. Just what the fuck is "RGB writing style", anyway? Why the fuck to people sneer about that like it's a bad thing? I could argue that any story that isn't centered around Venkman and his love life (even if he's barely doing anything, like GB2) and treats Winston Zeddemore as anything but an afterthought is "RGB writing style". So what's wrong with that?

Come to think of it...didn't that missing guy who published that comic a few years ago once say he'd love to work with J. Micheal Stracynski, the guy who, if you consider it somehow different, would have been the creator of the "RGB writing style"?

And people wonder why I can't work up much enthusiasm for this property anymore...