Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
I always have E/J hope.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2021, 10:15 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I just want to hope... and especially after the spoiler from the final trailer and the revelation that
Spoiler!
Peter was apparently allowed to get married to Dana
. Like, WHY does everyone get a little happy ending except EJ?

And the 3 or 4 people I've asked all say they aren't. But they also say there were things they were asked not to tell, there are lots of plot twists and surprises.

Are they lying because they've been asked to?

I am desperate and sad...I know it.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2021, 8:35 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
It's sad that it all started with GB2 and Harold axing the relationship because he had young children at the time and didn't want Egon having an on-screen relationship to confuse them. At least that's what I read in an interview at one point. And since only things shown on screen in live action matter to people, that's where we are.

And from the only review I've read inferred that Egon's ghost is still on this plane at least until the end of the movie, maybe we get a heartfelt scene between E/J apologizing for not getting together all those years back. I'm hoping we get a scene like that at least.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2021, 2:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
About Ghostdiva's spoiler:
Spoiler!
That's one of the concepts that annoys me, yeah. Not the idea that Venkman married Dana in and of itself, but the contrast:

Venkman marries Dana, and thus raises a son, Oscar, who is not his by blood.

Movie Egon, meanwhile, had a daughter under unspecified circumstances and apparently had little to nothing to do with her.

In other words, it could be that Movie Egon is an even bigger jerk than Venkman.

Throw in that Venkman is apparently in academia now (spoiled by the back of the Plasma Figure box) and I can't help but get the weird feeling that Movie Egon and Venkman's characters have ended up how the other should have been more likely to.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 10:38 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:
About Ghostdiva's spoiler:
Spoiler!
That's one of the concepts that annoys me, yeah. Not the idea that Venkman married Dana in and of itself, but the contrast:

Venkman marries Dana, and thus raises a son, Oscar, who is not his by blood.

Movie Egon, meanwhile, had a daughter under unspecified circumstances and apparently had little to nothing to do with her.

In other words, it could be that Movie Egon is an even bigger jerk than Venkman.

Throw in that Venkman is apparently in academia now (spoiled by the back of the Plasma Figure box) and I can't help but get the weird feeling that Movie Egon and Venkman's characters have ended up how the other should have been more likely to.

You are correct in that, Fritz. So, my next question is, are we so wrong about who we've thought Egon was all these years? Or did they just not care that much in order to drive the plot forward?

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 8:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
You are correct in that, Fritz. So, my next question is, are we so wrong about who we've thought Egon was all these years? Or did they just not care that much in order to drive the plot forward?

I definitely think the latter. While yeah, Jason Reitman and company are only worried about being consistent with the first two movies, what we know is so contradictory to the way the character was written in officially licensed material going all the way back to 1986 that it doesn't sound like the same character--Movie Egon's been mangled just to make Reitman's "Grandkids finding out about the Ghostbusters" narrative work.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 6:12 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Considering the way Afterlife Egon seems to have turned out, Janine might have dodged a bullet there. 

I agree with Fritz that it's more likely your second point that is the correct one, Ghostdiva. Ultimately, they had to take Egon out of character to fit the narrative that Callie doesn't know anything about him. 

Frankly, it makes me wonder why he even bothered to have a child. That guy was a freaking genius, and he didn't want to pass on any of his extensive knowledge? Seriously, what was the point? He could have remained single for the rest of his life if he wanted. Who'd have cared? It looks as though he became something of a recluse in later life, so surely it would have suited him better to have remained single and childless. At least that would have kept Egon in character, and proved the point that a lot of fans like to think that he was asexual, unemotional and dedicated only to science.

Also, why didn't Callie's mother tell her anything about her father? Callie didn't even know what kind of a scientist Egon was. Unless Egon's wife despised Egon so much she completely cut him out of the picture...

Honestly, as an E/J fan I'm not really impressed, but that's the way it has been for a lot of ghostbusters stuff over the recent years. It feels like we haven't been invited to the party for ages. I miss the days of RGB and EGB, where Egon and Janine had a slow burn of a relationship and none of it was out of character and everything seemed to make sense. God, what happened to those days, eh? I feel so old. :lol:

Could we get JMS to write a comic book, or something? 8-) :mrgreen:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2021, 11:56 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

https://youtu.be/I7LIdy1lY8M

This is what pisses me off. I mean, this literally seems to imply that they are the grandparents. Together, because that's what they're talking about and showing them together! It's so mean! And I feel so bad for people that are excited about EJ being together, and they don't know. Its sad.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2021, 8:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

When you've actually seen the movie:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=788