It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:20 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next
PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 10:31 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I have to admit, I didn't have a great many ideas when I started this story, and I was rather making up the first draft as I went along. I found myself wanting to showcase the home lives of the EGBs and the different kinds of family structure they've ended up with (for the Collinsverse family ideal is simply Happy), and ultimately I think this works rather well.

When I first learned that Jake shipped Max and Lucie enough to want to write about them, I was rather delighted, and as far as I remember we both thought that snippets from his 'Twenty-Four Hours of Paradise' would fit in well here (I think Jake was the first to voice the idea, by seconds!). I think it's as likely as not that some of the next generation spawned by a team of Ghostbusters (or similar) would end up falling in love etc.; it really just depends on what the Voices are telling one to write.

We have been kind to all of our characters, but I do remember thinking how particularly generous I was being to Conchita (and, by extension, Josh) by giving her everything she could possibly want all under one roof. At the time, I was thinking of it as a happy 'ending', and in a way it is - but, as Jake says, we're going to get to see a little of what goes on during the Happily Ever After (which it certainly is, though there may be the odd snag!).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 3:48 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Quote:
but I do remember thinking how particularly generous I was being to Conchita

Well, it could be a reaction to all the relationship drama you had GBOT Conchita go through. Broke up with the father of her first child, had a second child with a different guy while dating someone else ywt, then got back with first guy and had child #3 with him. I could definitely understand giving this version a much smoother road after all that.

PS Congrats on recently becoming the second person on this board to make it into four digits of posts!

PostPosted: June 14th, 2020, 5:33 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
Insert 20: A New Generation, by me, with help from Rosey to include Eduardo, Kylie and Rose in the story.

19 February 2023: Kevin and Oscar's family and friends gather to welcome the first member of the next generation.
​Rated T

Just a little over a year ago (I know that for certain because the first part of the Summer Special was released on my birthday last year!) we discovered that Lucy was carrying a baby for Kevin and Oscar (biologically the offspring of Kevin and Emilia) and finally we're going to meet that baby in person. So are a heck of a lot of characters from the Collinsverse, and this "everyone drops in to meet the new baby" structure represents yet another attempt to round off the whole series. As I've mentioned, there is (as usual!) a little more to come as it turns out, but this should still serve as a fitting final Insert.

The other main aspect of this story is a heart-to-heart between Kevin and James (the first in-depth one they've had since they were under the truck together at the climax of the Summer Special, I suspect) that I've been portending for a while, and that has hopefully been noticeably built up to since Insert 15. As has been mentioned, James is about to enter uncharted Collinsverse territory in terms of what might happen to someone on the journey to true love, and next week's Extension will follow him as he embarks on the next stage of that journey.

The Collinsverse has certainly been as kind to James as it has to anyone else when it comes to the romance stuff - you could even say it's been too kind to him as he's been presented with a variety of options and he can't actually go wrong with any of them! Indeed, there's as much mix-and-match potential as those Betty Spaghetty body parts he used to enjoy experimenting with. (This particular round of experimenting will have to wait until next week, of course.) Confused yet? The story should make all that a lot clearer.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on August 16th, 2020, 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2020, 4:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Insert 20: A New Generation, by me, with help from Rosey to include Eduardo, Kylie and Rose in the story.

19 February 2023: Kevin and Oscar's family and friends gather to welcome the first member of the next generation.
​Rated T

Just a little over a year ago (I know that for certain because the first part of the Summer Special was released on my birthday last year!) we discovered that Lucy was carrying a baby for Kevin and Oscar (biologically the offspring of Kevin and Emilia) and finally we're going to meet that baby in person. So are a heck of a lot of characters from the Collinsverse, and this "everyone drops in to meet the new baby" structure represents yet another attempt to round off the whole series. As I've mentioned, there is (as usual!) a little more to come as it turns out, but this should still serve as a fitting final Insert.

The other main aspect of this story is a heart-to-heart between Kevin and James (the first in-depth one they've had since they were under the truck together at the climax of the Summer Special, I suspect) that I've been portending for a while, and that has hopefully been noticeably built up to since Insert 15. As has been mentioned, James is about to enter uncharted Collinsverse territory in terms of what might happen to someone on the journey to true love, and next week's Extension will follow him as he embarks on the next stage of that journey.

The Collinsverse has certainly been as kind to James as it has to anyone else when it comes to the romance stuff - you could even say it's been too kind to him as he's been presented with a variety of options and he can't actually go wrong with any of them! Indeed, there's as much mix-and-match potential as those Betty Spaghetty body parts he used to enjoy experimenting with. (This particular round of experimenting will have to wait until next week, of course.) Confused yet? The story should make all that a lot clearer.

Yeah, James' life has gotten a lot more complicated. I mean, so has his brother's, but in a very different way. I have no idea where you're going with all of this, and it's going to be interesting to see.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2020, 11:06 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

This isn't the first new baby we've been introduced to (and actually, it won't be the last!), but it certainly is the first of a new generation, so you could say it's fitting that this life was created by (for want of a better word) modern methods. At some point after the first draft, it was decided that Judy should get another mention, and here we see that she has been climbing the career ladder on that maternity ward.

I think it's obvious by now that heart-to-hearts between guys is one of Jake's staples, and it's interesting to see how Kevin's little brother occupies the role he himself used to have in such chats with Eduardo (indeed, this parallel is commented on in the story). James certainly does have very different problems from Kevin - pretty much the opposite, really, in terms of making decisions about his romantic and sexual relationships. I was glad to get in the idea of the new baby also having such a confidant(e), which really cements any idea of that person someday moving into the apartment - kids growing up in that house really need someone up in the apartment to run to!

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
The Collinsverse has certainly been as kind to James as it has to anyone else when it comes to the romance stuff - you could even say it's been too kind to him as he's been presented with a variety of options and he can't actually go wrong with any of them! Indeed, there's as much mix-and-match potential as those Betty Spaghetty body parts he used to enjoy experimenting with.

When I wrote that aspect of Insert 6, I had no idea that Betty Spaghetty was going to become symbolic - rather like, back in an episode of The Riveras main series, the first thing I could think of for Kevin to select from the fridge after school (Go-gurt).

As for James's options, with the insider knowledge that I have, I see that there are clearly advantages and complications to whatever his heart eventually decides (including the complication with Isabel that builds on what I wrote in Insert 19, 'Trio') - but I do think Amber (mentioned in this story) is the funniest! (Although one does need to read the full version of this weekend's Extension to get the full effect of that...)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 19th, 2020, 5:07 am 
Doberman
Doberman

I found it interesting that you'd drawn a parallel between James and Kevin, and you're quite right - their lives will certainly be more than a little different in the near and not so near future, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of ups and downs for both of them along the way. You may have noticed that Kevin and Oscar are going to complicate their lives even further (again, in a good way) when they see about getting Michaela a little sibling, and as I said last time, we'll be seeing those two and quite a few others of their generation (two of whom have in-utero appearances in this Insert, another of whom had an in-utero appearance in the previous Extension) over the summer.

I've mentioned before how most pieces of intended ambiguity in the Collinsverse tend to get resolved in the end (including the living arrangements we'll be introduced to in the Back to School Special) but you really can make up your own happy ending for James, or at least you can decide who is or isn't in it with him, and in what capacity. Sunday's Extension should help with this, as we'll be seeing James interact with five different people in five different ways (although there are certain physical similarities between some of these ways, I must admit) and I'll be giving a brief summary of my own personal thoughts about his relationship with each person some time next week.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2020, 6:12 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Extension: James and the Troublesome F***s, by me.

24 – ​26 February & 5 – ​6 March 2023: James goes on a journey of personal and sexual exploration involving several important people in his life.
Rated M

When I first drafted this story, the concept of Extensions was a long, long way from coming into being. If I'd written it with a mind to creating a clean version, I probably would have chosen a title without a swear word in it (although it would be a shame not to use this title, which is a play on the Thomas the Tank Engine story 'James and the Troublesome Trucks') and I certainly wouldn't have written as much heart-to-heart stuff between characters who were actually having sex while saying it!

What we're left with is an Extension that contains just under half the full story and is still peppered with excessive cursing and crude talk, all of which is just about not too much for an M rating. Hopefully it also contains enough character interplay to help you make up your mind about James's relationships with the five people he interacts with here, as well as the relationship between one of those five characters and another character that we get a taster of.

As Our Timeline will tell you, Jessica gives birth to her first baby during the course of this story, though that isn't mentioned at all - I just thought it might be something interesting to point out here. It might also be interesting to note that the Character Index now contains headshots of all the characters from this story as well as Jessica's firstborn, Ella's firstborn and (for a few weeks now) Conchita's firstborn.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2020, 7:22 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I sure had a lot to say about the uncut version of this story, starting with my thoughts about Amber, most of which relate to the adult content as a lot of her characterisation is revealed through these sections. However, the crux of her character comes across in the clean version too, perhaps most importantly her potential as a long-term partner for James. And she's not the only one. As Krish says, problems are relative!

Krish's appearance shows how Jake has effectively developed the character since I came up with the idea of a less than perfect roommate (at least to begin with); his part in this story successfully builds a bridge from James's initial uncertainty about him, here developed into a general openness about his sexuality and others', to the two guys making friends. Jake has said, and I agree, that it's good for James to have a real friend who's a boy – indeed, what some (though not James himself) might call a friend who's a real boy! – and in return, James's sensitivity will be good for Krish.

The story of James and Isabel is ongoing; she was introduced in the Summer Special, and since then we have seen how their relationship has been developing. They've been friends with each other and with Conchita for a long time which, as we saw in Inserts 19 and 20, has led to some complicated feelings. In the story, these feelings are not all expressed in words but, to put it simply, we see that the James/Isabel pairing also has potential in the long-term. I do think (and seriously, never mind that this is the one I came up with all myself!) Isabel is the most practical choice for him in terms of proximity, and the fact that he seems to be her one and only choice. But these things are not decided by practicality (or, if they are, they will almost inevitably go wrong!).

Harry's feelings at this point are very ambiguous – so much so that he can't articulate them beyond that he wants himself, Will and James 'all to be friends' (an admirable sentiment). He is clearly enjoying a very fulfilling sexual and emotional connection with Will, and now he is being starkly reminded that he used to have something similar with James. Could they be on the path towards getting back together? I keep thinking about how Harry lacks both of Isabel's practical advantages, living in San Francisco and being with Will, but this does sound clinical and actually de-humanising. Everyone needs to listen to their heart here, and then hope they come up with answers that are going to be suitable all round!

Talking of Will, we can now add Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars to the list of shows in this EGB universe, along with The Mysterious Cities of Gold and (the much shorter-, snappier-titled) NYPD Blue. A crossover in which Eduardo and Kylie somehow enter the Aniverse would be a hoot... but probably a step too far!

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 27th, 2020, 1:02 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Not for the first time, I find myself wishing it was possible to reply to reviews on aff.org so I could thank you for and respond to your detailed comments and analysis, but I'll just have to do a little of that here instead, as there is definitely no other way for us to communicate! As I mentioned before, I'll give my thoughts on a character-by-character basis. From its very first draft, James and the Troublesome *Ahem-Ahem*s was very much intended primarily as a character piece (with the sex providing a lot of jolly good fun along the way!) so I'm particularly glad to know that the story has apparently achieved that goal.

Amber: I'm pleased you find her funny because (as you can tell) I had a lot of fun writing her, but I also wanted to give her some decent character moments with James as one of his potential long-term partners, so I'm glad to know I managed that too. My own feeling is that James and Amber obviously have a significant spark (both emotionally and sexually) that's well worth pursuing, even if only for a trial period to begin with. (After all, that's what relationship breaks are there for!)

Guy: Obviously his name is something of a joke (as he is, quite literally, "some guy") but I very much wanted to make a him a "real" character in the story, and to make it clear that he and James found each other sufficiently interesting and pleasant (on both a personal and physical level) to do a bit of sexual experimentation together. I was pleased to read your thoughts about Guy's journey and state of mind, as it made me believe that this was another goal the story had managed to achieve. I don't see Guy as a potential long-term partner for James, but he'd certainly be an interesting choice and they'd always have a great story about how they first met, though maybe not one to entertain the grandkids with! I definitely do think that James and Guy will stay friends and keep each other updated on their personal lives, perhaps over semi-regular cups of coffee in the cafeteria.

Krish: I really do love Krish, a true diamond in the rough of his own outward manner and a definite spiritual successor to Michael. He provides James with something that really was missing from his life: a best friend who's not also a blood relative or a love interest. As you say, they will be very good for each other, as James helps Krish to temper his crassness and Krish helps James to access the more laddish side of his character (all boys have one somewhere!) that hasn't been prevalent in the past. I really enjoyed writing Krish and helping him to craft his story about his somewhat sexual encounter with his cousin (in fact the whole Krish sequence was the first part of the story I actually wrote!) and I've since enjoyed writing two more stories about him and James which will be available on aff.org very soon. That's not to say they'll be doing anything sexual together (or to each other, anyway!) but Krish does get to pop his blueberries in the second one!

Isabel: I wanted to make the interaction between James and Isabel very honest, open, direct and easygoing, as they've always been close friends and always will be. But as you can tell from the full version of this story as well as the final two Inserts and the third chapter of my adult story James's Post-Date Playmates, these two also have an enormous amount of physical passion for each other that now ties inextricably into their friendship, which is something that should certainly be taken into account when thinking about James's future. I don't know if Isabel's been dating other people during the relationship break, but I think it's possible and it would be good for her to see what else might be out there. Obviously she and James will always love each other and be a huge part of each other's lives whatever happens, and I must admit that after writing about their first ever sexual encounter in James's Post-Date Playmates, I'm now keener than ever before for them to get back together at some point, in some way.

Harry: I've been keen to back up James's initial assessment of Harry as "a really nice guy" (as opposed to a douchebag like Ethan!) whenever I've written about him, so I'm glad to know that came across here. As I mentioned before, I think James and Harry made a huge mistake by not keeping in touch effectively and I think they've now realised this themselves, so I'm absolutely certain that these two also will be a significant part of each other's lives forevermore, even if it's from some considerable physical distance, which is pretty easy to do nowadays. I think their romantic relationship could definitely be rekindled, but I wouldn't like to see Harry split up with Will, and even from that fairly short scene I wrote between them, I don't think Harry and Will want that either.

As you can perhaps tell, I've imagined lots of possible futures for James and I'd hate to totally discount any one of them! Fortunately (as I've said before) he really can't go wrong whatever happens, and the one thing we can be sure of is that there's going to be even more love in his life than ever before, which is definitely a whole lot of love! I was tickled pink to welcome the world of Bucky O'Hare into the Collinsverse, and while it may be unlikely that Eduardo and Kylie will ever make it to the Aniverse, I could certainly see Harry and Will accidentally firing off Will's dad's photon accelerator and getting into some trouble! (I can also see them doing several things together that have nothing to do with Bucky O'Hare!)

Anyone who keeps an eye on my aff.org profile will be rewarded over five successive Saturdays (starting a week from today) as I release a new piece of Collinsverse erotica each week, alternating those James and Krish stories with more from Roland's kids, principally Lucie (together with Garrett's kid Max, of course!) as well as Adam and Dylan, and (perhaps inevitably, as it's me!) Dylan's buddy Dennis. There'll be a week off after that, then you can join us again on the 'clean' website for the first part of The Riveras Back to School Special: The Circle of Life on Sunday 16th August 2020.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2020, 5:16 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Back to School Special: The Circle of Life, Part 1, by me.

August 2032: Kevin, Oscar and their daughters welcome a new member of the family, James takes a significant step in his professional life, Beth outlines some revised provisions for the future, and Carl has a life-altering experience.

Yes, here it is, the start of our final three-part journey into the Collinsverse, this time coming in nine and a half years after the final Insert (which saw Kevin and Oscar welcome their first child and start to think about planning a second) and around a day after the Epilogue of the Christmas Special (which saw Eduardo and Kylie spotting Donatella the sea turtle on the turtle beach at Cozumel).

While this first chapter updates us on what's been going on in the main Rivera house and only offers tantalising insights into what the rest of the family is getting up to, you can rest assured that all (well, nearly all!) will be revealed in the next two chapters. In the meantime, I hope you'll enjoy visualising this particular domestic setup almost as much as I did!

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on August 26th, 2020, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2020, 6:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Back to School Special: The Circle of Life, Part 1, by me.

August 2032: Kevin, Oscar and their daughters welcome a new member of the family, James takes a significant step in his professional life, Beth outlines some revised provisions for the future, and Carl has a life-altering experience.

Yes, here it is, the start of our final three-part journey into the Collinsverse, this time coming in nine and a half years after the final Insert (which saw Kevin and Oscar welcome their first child and start to think about planning a second) and around a day after the Epilogue of the Christmas Special (which saw Eduardo and Kylie spotting Donatella the sea turtle on the turtle beach at Cozumel).

While this first chapter updates us on what's been going on in the main Rivera house and only offers tantalising insights into what the rest of the family is getting up to, you can rest assured that all (well, nearly all!) will be revealed in the next two chapters. In the meantime, I hope you'll enjoy visualising this particular domestic setup almost as much as I did!

Very classic set up. Domestic bliss, a few uncomfortable bits of conversation...then bam, suddenly things change on a dime.

My first guess is that little Michaela just met her great grandfather Alberto, but that's only a guess.

This one hits a bit hard--my own father went through something much like Carl does in this story about seven and a half years ago. He came through it pretty well--in some ways he's in better health these days than I am--but it was scary as shit for a while, and we all know it could have been a lot worse.

Looking forward to the continuation.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2020, 3:57 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Of course, when this was written, we had no idea that 'back to school' was going to be so complicated! Fortunately, it isn't so in the Collinsverse in 2032 (goodness only knows what's going to be happening in this universe when that time comes... :roll:).

As Jake says, this story reveals the outcomes of some (perhaps rather forgettable) ideas being floated by characters in previous releases. Personally, I'm glad the Rivera house was not sold; it (including the apartment) was a very fascinating and important setting in 'Rage', and has continued to be so in our fanfiction. Eagle-eyed readers may have realised who is living in the apartment at this time, and picked up some information on the rest of the family as well. More on that later...

Zak is a lovely addition to the clan that makes perfect sense, particularly with his link to the next generation of Riveras in the NYPD having – from Carl's point of view – finally appeared! We saw back in the Summer Special that James aspired to follow in the family footsteps and become a cop, and Carl's obvious pride and delight in his achievements rings true here – as does his granddaughters' delight (Michaela in particular) at having Zak, who was the subject on which this paragraph was started! Cats and dogs are much loved by this writing team, though our EGB fanfics favour cats overall, as we have much more experience of them and there is a precedent in the source material. Indeed, we are now on a third generation of Griffin cats as well as Rivera humans, but more on that later too!

Too many of us have had nasty experiences with strokes, and (another thing for eagle-eyed, elephant-memoried readers to spot) Beth is uncomfortably reminded of her mother's, which happened during Insert 11 – from her point of view, twenty-two years ago (from ours, more like eleven months). Even so, the aspect of that whole sequence that has twice drawn a verbal comment from me is Libby being woken up by it; myself, I've slept through a fair few dramas in my time and, in her place, I'd have been shocked and amazed to hear all the details in the morning!

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 20th, 2020, 2:00 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Even though it meant yet another failed attempt at an ambiguous ending, I think as soon as Libby was invented as a character concept (even when she was nothing more than an unnamed foetus) I realised I was too much in love with this domestic setup not to write a little something about it at some point, particularly as we'd already come up with the highly attractive idea of introducing a failed police dog as a family pet. There is still a lot of very satisfying 2032-Collinsverse to reveal explicitly, which includes everyone in the list of people Michaela came up with to invite over in the near future, with the single (or should that be twin?) exception of Tom and Jon, who (as everybody knows) are Lucy and Jandro's twin boys, and as can clearly be inferred from the story, that particular family of four is on vacation in Hong Kong at the moment. Just in case you couldn't work it out, there will also be an explicit reveal of which characters live in Libby's other household, in addition to her big brother Dom.

I have to tell you, Fritz, it's a very good guess about Michaela's visitor, and in fact when I first drafted that scene (and it hasn't really changed since then, just the odd word here and there) I actually thought it was Al Rivera. At that stage we weren't at all sure how long this story was going to be and which other characters (i.e. in addition to the ones featured in this part) were and weren't going to be in it, and there was already another idea floating around about who the ghostly messenger might be. This other idea is the one that ended up being used as it makes a great deal of sense linking in with the rest of the story and also calling back to previous Collinsverse adventures, so I guess Al is happy in Heaven or wherever and doesn't have a presence as a ghost or an angel or anything, which is what Eduardo hoped for in Midnight at Glens Falls so I know he'd be pleased. That's not to say I don't think Al would pop back down to help his family if he was needed, but as we'll see very clearly in the next two parts, the Riveras are covered for this particular sequence of events.

I've included at least a little of my own personal experience and/or feelings in very nearly every story I've written for the Collinsverse, and Kevin's nighttime ordeal here is certainly something I could see very clearly through his eyes as I was crafting it. After revelling in the domestic setup, the arrival of Zak and the professional advancement of James, I quickly realised that a ghost and a pretty big problem should be included in this chapter, and both came to me entirely unbidden but already intertwined. As everyone knows, Carl's journey (particularly with his sons) has always been one of my favourite things to explore, and in line with the title of this piece, you should find something of a closing-the-circle vibe for this long-running storyline in the next part, on which note I think I've said more than enough for now!

PostPosted: August 21st, 2020, 3:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
I have to tell you, Fritz, it's a very good guess about Michaela's visitor, and in fact when I first drafted that scene (and it hasn't really changed since then, just the odd word here and there) I actually thought it was Al Rivera. At that stage we weren't at all sure how long this story was going to be and which other characters (i.e. in addition to the ones featured in this part) were and weren't going to be in it, and there was already another idea floating around about who the ghostly messenger might be. This other idea is the one that ended up being used as it makes a great deal of sense linking in with the rest of the story and also calling back to previous Collinsverse adventures, so I guess Al is happy in Heaven or wherever and doesn't have a presence as a ghost or an angel or anything, which is what Eduardo hoped for in Midnight at Glens Falls so I know he'd be pleased. That's not to say I don't think Al would pop back down to help his family if he was needed, but as we'll see very clearly in the next two parts, the Riveras are covered for this particular sequence of events.

I did say it was a "guess" not a dead set certainty. Honestly, and I know this might sound a little full of myself, but after writing so many stories and having watched or read so many more and absorbing all of the tropes for decades, I like being surprised once in a while; looking forward to seeing what's really going on.
:)

PostPosted: August 26th, 2020, 5:23 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Back to School Special: The Circle of Life, Part 2, by both of us.

August/September 2032: The story of Michaela's strange visitation becomes a hot topic after a harrowing night, Conchita experiences growing concern about her unborn baby, preparations are made for Carl's homecoming, and Daisy and Libby's play date takes an unexpected turn.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next