It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:20 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: July 18th, 2018, 6:11 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I would like to add that, having lived in Britain all my life, the only person named Sheldon I have ever been aware of was that unhatched egg character in Orson's Farm. Still a fine name for a Spengler grandchild of course, and I'm sure some Brits have that name really, but at any rate it doesn't sound British to me (sorry :P).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 3:57 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I've just found out some new information. Fritz probably remembers (and I doubt anyone else does!) that, some time ago, I made up a name for the Chinatown storekeeper's daughter character in EGB episode 'Eyes of a Dragon' because (infuriatingly) it's never mentioned. Well, last night my sleep was delayed as I had to file away the thought that the right answer might have come to light by now, from some kind of subsequent script availability (I was remembering how I found out three key names in Bucky O'Hare from scripts on the DVD-ROM feature... which no device will read anymore :roll:).

As it turned out, that's exactly what has happened (and a quick check of the Timeline suggests that this isn't news only to me... anyway, Fritz, you'd probably have mentioned it to me, knowing you). I went on the Wiki just now and discovered that her name is Jodi Chen, with citations from the original script (I don't know where they got it from - it doesn't matter). In a repeat of the Doris Melnitz incident, I would very much prefer to go with the official name over the made-up one now, and I'd be extremely surprised if Fritz didn't agree (I'm not sure if anybody else cares :P).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 30th, 2021, 9:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
I've just found out some new information. Fritz probably remembers (and I doubt anyone else does!) that, some time ago, I made up a name for the Chinatown storekeeper's daughter character in EGB episode 'Eyes of a Dragon' because (infuriatingly) it's never mentioned. Well, last night my sleep was delayed as I had to file away the thought that the right answer might have come to light by now, from some kind of subsequent script availability (I was remembering how I found out three key names in Bucky O'Hare from scripts on the DVD-ROM feature... which no device will read anymore :roll:).

As it turned out, that's exactly what has happened (and a quick check of the Timeline suggests that this isn't news only to me... anyway, Fritz, you'd probably have mentioned it to me, knowing you). I went on the Wiki just now and discovered that her name is Jodi Chen, with citations from the original script (I don't know where they got it from - it doesn't matter). In a repeat of the Doris Melnitz incident, I would very much prefer to go with the official name over the made-up one now, and I'd be extremely surprised if Fritz didn't agree (I'm not sure if anybody else cares :P).

Yeah, that'll be fixed by next Tuesday at the latest. I may even get it done today. Thanks for letting me know!

Edit:
Okay, done. While I was there, I "futureproofed" myself by noting there is some stuff from Afterlife that will make it into the main and GBI timelines eventually, mostly some of the movie's development of Shador and his cult.

And while I haven't put it in yet, GBA can sorta explain why the Ghostbusters had different phone numbers in the original two movies. If Ray took the original number for his book store when GBInc was shut down in 1986, and never gave it back, it explains why they had JL5-2020 in GB2.

And boy, wouldn't JL5-2020 have become a little eerier if GBA had been released in the year it was originally intended to?

PostPosted: February 9th, 2023, 7:33 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I don't know if this is a really irritating question; sorry if so, Fritz.

I was just suddenly curious to see if EGB college graduation had been moved on the Timeline from 2001 to 2000, given the (not so?) recent changes inspired by my own timeline and episode chronology. And I could no longer see the event in either year. (Ha... "That's not a question, Professor." :P)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 9th, 2023, 8:20 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
I don't know if this is a really irritating question; sorry if so, Fritz.

I was just suddenly curious to see if EGB college graduation had been moved on the Timeline from 2001 to 2000, given the (not so?) recent changes inspired by my own timeline and episode chronology. And I could no longer see the event in either year. (Ha... "That's not a question, Professor." :P)

Damn. How I somehow missed that I'll never know.

I do notice I still have 2001 listed on their GBNY pages, but yeah, maybe I'd better get that down.

We could stick with 2001 saying they got delayed from doing all the Ghostbusting work?

Or move Kylie, Eduardo, and Garrett to 2000; Roland could even be moved to 1999--I keep thinking we'd said he was a year ahead of the others, and that would work with his September 1977 birth date.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2023, 10:57 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Fritz wrote:
Damn. How I somehow missed that I'll never know.

I do notice I still have 2001 listed on their GBNY pages, but yeah, maybe I'd better get that down.

I could have sworn I'd seen it on the Timeline once, but I guess I must've been thinking of those individual timelines. I could have sworn a lot of things that turn out to be wrong... :roll:

Quote:
We could stick with 2001 saying they got delayed from doing all the Ghostbusting work?

If I may impose my will, I think there is every good reason to have them graduate in 2000. For one thing, the birth of Conchita (originally thought up and recorded aeons ago, with not enough thought and foresight on my part) sits better that way. For another, it just makes more sense anyway.

Quote:
Or move Kylie, Eduardo, and Garrett to 2000; Roland could even be moved to 1999--I keep thinking we'd said he was a year ahead of the others, and that would work with his September 1977 birth date.

Ahaha, well, being totally honest... there is no "we" there. :? A birthdate of September '77 actually fits in with the revised timeline, the other three having been born January-July '78 (in accordance with the January '97 start to EGB... you remember); this would make Roland the oldest in the same school year, which is what Jake and I have in the Collinsverse, and is very much what I prefer.

...I just checked your Timeline, wondering if maybe you changed Roland's birth year to '76, which you did not. I vote we keep it that way.

("Prehistory-1982"... I think you'll find a lot of youngsters now consider that's all prehistory! :lol:)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 9th, 2023, 11:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
If I may impose my will, I think there is every good reason to have them graduate in 2000. For one thing, the birth of Conchita (originally thought up and recorded aeons ago, with not enough thought and foresight on my part) sits better that way. For another, it just makes more sense anyway.

Agreed. I just wanted to get all of the options out there.

Quote:
Ahaha, well, being totally honest... there is no "we" there. :? A birthdate of September '77 actually fits in with the revised timeline, the other three having been born January-July '78 (in accordance with the January '97 start to EGB... you remember); this would make Roland the oldest in the same school year, which is what Jake and I have in the Collinsverse, and is very much what I prefer.

...I just checked your Timeline, wondering if maybe you changed Roland's birth year to '76, which you did not. I vote we keep it that way.

Yeah, that makes more sense. I might have been thinking of an older idea that I ended up not suggesting/using. That happens when you get old.

Quote:
("Prehistory-1982"... I think you'll find a lot of youngsters now consider that's all prehistory! :lol:)

:lol: True.

I'll probably have the revisions up Tuesday, February 14th.
:venkman: --Valentine's Day. Not a bummer.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2023, 1:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There. 2000 shows graduation for the EGBs, and it's on all their GBNY profile pages.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2023, 1:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Anther round of updates was done to the GBI or Timeline 8932 section.

Nothing major, and not anything new yet (the stuff learned in "Monster of Lungbarrow' won't be added until the story is complete) but some minor rewrites on some already existing entries, added some dates that were in the original timeline but weren't on this one for some reason, stuff like that.

The only real noticeable change is the addition of the "zodiac dates" which are sometimes mentioned in stories, particularly when the Order of Hermes is involved. It's based off a dating system used in the first four editions of Ars Magica but mostly abandoned in the fifth. It's inspired by the Astrological Age concept from "real" astrology (which in turn arises from the precession of Earth's equinoxes, which is real physics and astronomy), though Ars's years and my own (beginning in 1991) don't match the estimates in the above Wikipedia articles.

Most everything on the Timeline is in the Age of Pisces (which began in 139BC) then the more recent Age of Aquarius (which in GBOT began in AD1991). The next age, the Age of Capricorn, won't start for about two thousand years. There's more to it, including Ars Magica (intentionally?) botching a big detail, but I doubt anybody would care about that even if you made it this far into my musings.