Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Thread at the old board:
http://ectozone.proboards31.com/index.c ... 1094333258

Ilogical Reaction
1986--Timeline Year Four
Or, you could also call it: "Robo Buster, the Missing Scene"

This story was based off of something we actually did in our role playing games years and years ago: in the episode "Robo Buster", Janine dates a slimeball businessman named Paul Smart, which leads to a delightful display of jealousy from Egon.

"Illogical Reaction" takes place not long after their first meeting with Smart, but before the unvieling of Robo Buster. I'm not going to spoil the surprises, other than to say Egon is not handling it very constructively...

One fun little update:
Silent Seraphim wrote:
I wonder whether you've considered publishing any of these stories on fanfiction.net as well as here? It will probably give you a much wider audience, and a greater range of feedback. With fiction of this quality, I think as many people should be able to read your stories as possible

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3752405/1/I ... l_Reaction

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 10:24 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
I didn't see Robo Buster until after I read this, but this story totaly fits in there :ej4ever:

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 9:57 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
E/J E/E TJ/JC wrote:
I didn't see Robo Buster until after I read this, but this story totaly fits in there :ej4ever:

I liked this one a lot. The original Robo Buster story, while mostly decent, missed a few important accents (most likely due to the unwillingness of the cartoon writers to break the "status quo") and Fritz got 'em just right.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 1:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Rover wrote:
E/J E/E TJ/JC wrote:

I liked this one a lot. The original Robo Buster story, while mostly decent, missed a few important accents (most likely due to the unwillingness of the cartoon writers to break the "status quo") and Fritz got 'em just right.

I always thought that the main problem with "Robo Buster" is that the story screamed for more emphasis on Egon's reaction to the whole thing. Egon's reactions were brilliant in the first half of the episdoe, but after the commercial break Egon just faded back into his "normal" level of post-JMS prominance. By all rights, he should have been the one barking orders and getting in Smart's face; and, yeah, a little bit of upsetting of the Status Quo would have been called for.

(Truth to tell, in our old GBI campaign about twenty years ago, we did use this story as a springboard for breaking the status quo. The scenes of Egon getting drunk were adapted from what actually happened in-game, and what happened after the events in the episode was an awful lot like the apocrypha story [http://www.ectozone.com/apocrypha/gbej91.php]Till The Night Closes In[/url]. Of course, getting the Spenglers hitched in 1988 meant we had to ignore a lot of stuff from GB2 in our game, but that didn't really seem to bother anybody at the time :lol: )

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 3:04 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Fritz wrote:
I always thought that the main problem with "Robo Buster" is that the story screamed for more emphasis on Egon's reaction to the whole thing. Egon's reactions were brilliant in the first half of the episdoe, but after the commercial break Egon just faded back into his "normal" level of post-JMS prominance. By all rights, he should have been the one barking orders and getting in Smart's face; and, yeah, a little bit of upsetting of the Status Quo would have been called for.

Well... I figure the "status quo" was enforced by Jansen & Menville who were overseeing the whole thing after JMS threw the towel in. And then again, they were worried about keeping the show "accessible" for children - wish they hadn't stuck the JGB in though; child-friendly stuff that can be seen in, oh say, Sticky Business is totally acceptable to me - and this kinda precludes from adding some real drama. Robo Buster is one of the episodes with the highest potential power and naturally the one to disappoint in that regard due to that potential just kinda falling flat.

Quote:
(Truth to tell, in our old GBI campaign about twenty years ago, we did use this story as a springboard for breaking the status quo. The scenes of Egon getting drunk were adapted from what actually happened in-game, and what happened after the events in the episode was an awful lot like the apocrypha story [http://www.ectozone.com/apocrypha/gbej91.php]Till The Night Closes In[/url]. Of course, getting the Spenglers hitched in 1988 meant we had to ignore a lot of stuff from GB2 in our game, but that didn't really seem to bother anybody at the time :lol: )

Nor would it have bothered me, to say frankly; but part of the appeal Ectozone has had for me (so I joined) is that you not only treat every canon utterance with respect, no matter how ridiculous and contradicting they are, but also find a way to unite them all into a non-contradicting universe - that's highly admirable. I shudder to think of what happens if GB3 is ever released - it'll probably sh*t all over any continuity that's still there. I had enough of it with EGB that seemed apocryphal enough for me, at least until I've read your stories that warmed me to them somewhat, then I found Back in the Saddle... and realized that warped as it all has become, there's still a way to resolve it (and you did). But that's beside the topic.

On topic though... while I find the idea of "status quo" detestable (and of course, the main characters being kept from each other for eight years... poor fellas) I've witnessed one such case around so it's not entirely unbelievable. To make it even more sad, there's very little chance of eventual reconciliation as the people involved are already quite old - she has been married twice, not once to the one she loves, and has two children, none of which are his. So this is what E/J could have become if it hadn't been for Fritz. :)